Saturday, March 24, 2007

On the passing of Dr. Umar's mother

I missed Dr. Umar terribly tonight. Tariq, Iman and I went to a Webb Foundation event. It was a fantastic event, a mawlid with Dawud Wharnsby Ali leading the songs. Mashallah he has a beautiful voice. But Dr. Umar's absence was always on the back of my mind. He left for Kansas on Wednesday to be with his mother during her last days. I've been thinking of him ever since he left, but his absence today was very hard for me. I know how much he would have enjoyed hearing and singing with Dawud Wharnsby Ali. Heck, he loves singing with Tariq and Saqib, and they are nothing compared to DWA.

And then, during the break, I nearly cried when Mazen announced that Dr. Umar's mother passed away an hour ago...I only met her once, and didn't have much of a relationship with her, but something in me made me feel so sad, so empty that the woman who raised such a beautiful man has returned to Allah. That my beloved teacher, my dear friend, my spiritual father, has lost a part of him, a part of him that left the world when she left.

I missed him so much tonight. Just thinking about what he is going through right now, having lost his mother - and not just any mother, but a mother he was super close to - makes me feel so empty. I want so much to be there for him, yet, I know I will not know what to say when I actually do see him. What do you say to a man who is so much wiser than you, so much stronger than you, so much more patient than you, so much more content than you with God's will? What words can you possibly impart that can serve as any comfort?

I pray for him and his family to have strength during this time and for his mother's comfort in the hereafter. I pray that Allah forgives her for her shortcomings, and rewards her with Junnah for all the good that she has done in her life, and I pray that she is rewarded for all of Dr. Umar's good deeds as well, by virtue of being his mother. And I pray for Dr. Umar and his family, that they are all granted long, healthy, happy, and successful lives and that they are rewarded for all the good that they do. Ameen.

Dr. Umar's absence today reminded me of what a blessing it is to have him here with us, yet scared me at the same time because I know our time together in this world is limited. There are no words to describe how important and essential his presence is in our lives, how valuable his friendship is. Alhamdulillah. I only pray that Tariq, Iman and I continue to benefit from the barakah of having him be so close to us, and that we do not take for granted even one minute that we have with him.

No comments: